Saturday, October 4, 2008

fragments on craft

A producer I once worked with described making a documentary as a form of collage in which you collect pictures, stories, music, video and then combine them into a meaningful narrative form.

I've always liked this metaphor.

My own approach emerges from a journalistic tradition. My collage process usually begins with months of intense research, talking with experts and academics, to provide an informed foundation of knowledge. My goals in making "news" is to focus on exploring new topics, or presenting information in a new way, or crafting a new synthesis of the existing information about a given topic.

At the heart of this process is always telling personal stories. I am always searching for human stories that can exemplify larger social and political trends -- in a personal and emotional way. I firmly believe that human faces and personal stories are the most effective vehicle for communicating new ideas to a general audience.

No comments: